Indian Head Massage has been practised in India for over 1000 years. Traditionally the techniques were restricted to the head and hair, to improve scalp and hair condition of Indian women. Nowadays a system incorporating the upper back, shoulders, neck, upper arms and face, has evolved (developed by Norendra Mehta) in the belief that these are important energy centres in the body and by treating these the whole body can benefit.
Indian Head Massage is a safe, accessible, and convenient therapeutic treatment that can be performed either in the clinic or the workplace. Treatment can provide instant relief from tension and stress symptoms and induce a state of calm, peace and tranquillity and also promote high levels of alertness and concentration.
This simple yet effective therapy uses a variety of techniques to manipulate soft tissue. It is performed with the client in a seated position, usually through light clothing and without the use of oils. The therapist uses a range of different massage pressures and rhythms to stimulate the head, neck, and upper back and shoulder area. A typical massage will last between 15 and 20 minutes.
Benefits and Effects
Indian Head Massage provides relief from aches and pains, promotes a healthy scalp and hair, and helps induce relaxation and a feeling of well-being.
Other physical and psychological benefits include:
- General and specific relaxation of muscles, providing immediate relief.
- Fibrous adhesions (knots and nodules) can be broken down.
- Loosening of the scalp.
- Relaxation of the whole body.
- Dispersal of toxins from tense, knotted muscles
- Improved circulation of blood and increased oxygen uptake.
- Stimulation and improvement of the circulation of the lymphatic system.
- Help in the relief of eyestrain and tension headaches.
- Excellent for disturbed sleep and insomnia
- Help with mental tiredness and tension.
- Improved concentration.
- Relief from mental and emotional stress.