Aromatherapy is a term that encompasses many forms of treatment. This overview only refers to Aromatherapy treatment via massage.
Aromatherapy uses the purest plant essence in the form of organic essential oils, which are extracts from various parts of plants, fruits, flowers, bark, roots, or resin. Essential oils contain dozens of powerful complex natural chemicals that have beneficial properties. Due to the diversity of essential oils and their individual therapeutic properties, the range of benefits and effects of Aromatherapy is wide ranging.
Most Aromatherapists will have a holistic approach to client consultation. This provides the information necessary to select the appropriate essential oils for the maximum therapeutic benefit. The selected essential oils are blended with a carrier/base massage oil to create a unique mix for each client’s individual needs. This Aromatherapy blend is usually applied to the skin with traditional body massage. Other massage techniques such as deep tissue work may also be used, depending on the Aromatherapist’s practice and the client’s requirement.
Benefits and Effects
Aromatherapy treatments have both physiological and psychological effects. The combination of massage and the medicinal and therapeutic qualities of the essential oils (molecules both inhaled [aroma] and absorbed through the skin) can soothe, revitalise, uplift the spirit, encourage positive thinking and boost the immune system enabling the body to heal itself.
- Physiological Benefits - Aromatherapy massage can:
- enhance lymphatic drainage - this helps to reduce fluid retention and prevent oedema
- induce a feeling of deep relaxation in the body
- help to restore balance in the body
- stimulate the body’s natural immune system
- increase the oxygen and nutrient supply to the tissues by increasing the blood circulation
- help to increase energy levels as blockages and congestion in the nerves are eased
Psychological Benefits - Aromatherapy massage can:
- promote a general state of well-being
- calm and soothe the mind
- help to reduce nervous tension
- help to lift the mood and reduce feelings of depression